Lets talk about bugs and leachs everybodies favorite topics. Bugs and leaches are both gross and can cause serious harm to you.
There are plenty of different types of bugs in the wilderness and some of them are huge. I’m gonna cover what to do to avoid bites and stings.
- Use insect repleelents such as DEET or permethrin. Permethrin is a synthetic chemical that is widely used as an insecticide, acaricide, and insect repellent. A cool fact about permethrin is that the US Army is fielding factory treated uniforms to protect soliders against bug bites in countries where bugs carry deadly diseases.
- If you are in a situation where you do not have netting or access to repellent you can use mud or oil as a repellents, just smoother it all over your skin and your good to go.
- Surround your bed with netting to add additional protection against bugs. Make sure that you do not sleep directly against the net because the bugs will still be able to reach you.
- To add additional protection to your bed add repellent to ropes that suspend your bedding.
- Make sure to check your body especially your scalp and crevices daily for bug bites and ticks.
- If you are in the woods, or jungle make sure to wear something that covers your head so bugs to not drop, fly or crawl into you hair.
- When you make camp for the night make sure to make a real smokey fire to deter bugs. One way to do this is to find as much alive/green wood as possible, also damp wood will burn slow and smokey.
- Do not walk thru the forest or jungle barefoot. You open yourself up to step on something that can either sting or bite you.
- Do not let your wet clothes dry on the ground. Insects are attracted to dark damp places and may lay eggs in your clothing.
- Do not wear perfume or use excessively fragrant soaps or deoderants, the odor attracts bees and wasps.
- I highly recommend not to walk to jungle in a hawiian shirt, not just cause its tacky but because it will attract pests to you rapidily.
Forests are abound with bugs especially ants. Bugs cover nearly every conceivable surface in the forest, it doesn’t matter where you step, sit, lean you will encounter ants. One very important preventative measure is to raise your bed off the ground. Use repellents that contain 15-30% deet, do not use a higher concentration because it can be bad for your health. When using it cover your entire body. Cover an exposed area and also your clothing. Spray your socks, spray your pants and your hands so you can rub it into your hair.
I want to cover how to remove a leech real quick. Sticking to things that make you squirm I thought leeches will fit right in. One important thing to remember is do not burn the leech off, which is a common belief because of pop culture. Burning it will remove it from your skin but it will also cause the leech to regurgitate into your skin, which will most likely cause a serious infection. Instead move your fingernail under the thin end of the leech to break the seal on its oral sucker. Then as quickly as possible do the same to the thicker end of the leech before it reattaches itself to you. Once the leech has been removed flick it away and apply antibiotics. Leeches release an anticoagulant when attached so they can feed continuously, so the bite will bleed profusely. Just treat like you would any other bleeding wound and you will be fine.
I hope you all enjoyed ready this blog post. Remember to please leave any quesitons or comments and also don’t forget to click the follow button so you don’t miss out on any new posts.